Friday, May 29, 2009

Meet Anna

From our intern, Anna:

Originally from New Orleans, Louisiana, my first three months living and working in Manhattan have been a unique and exciting adventure, as well as a valuable learning experience. With a degree in public relations from Louisiana State University, I spent my first year after college giving back to the community post Hurricane Katrina working as Communication and Development Associate for a nonprofit foundation. With my growing experience in PR, my interest in event planning began as I planned the retirement party of the CEO.

One afternoon, while rummaging through the wedding section of the local Barnes and Noble, I came across an article about a wedding planned and coordinated by SJS Events. Impressed by the beauty and elegance of the South Asian ceremony and celebration, I went to Sonal’s website and saw there was an open position for an events intern. I immediately applied and was pleasantly surprised to hear from Sonal a few days later. Soon, a short month passed and I was packed and moving to New York City. Like most, I thought planning a wedding would consist of cake tastings and picking out dresses, but Sonal has shown me that it is so much more. From constant researching, emailing, phone calls, negotiations and follow-ups, working at SJS Events has truly been an eye-opening and thrilling undertaking. I am extremely excited to attend my first Indian wedding to witness first-hand the Baraat, Garba and Mehendi, among other traditions. Thanks to the guidance Sonal and the rest of the SJS Events staff, I am able to do what I love in the greatest city in the world!

No comments: