Thursday, November 20, 2008

A Day in the life of our new Intern, Kristina

I haven't even been working for Sonal J. Shah for a week, and I've already taken more notes than I did all throughout college. Of course, I am an American girl testing the waters of Indian weddings. I was fortunate that Sonal took a chance on a newcomer in the wedding industry. Luckily, she has been quite understanding as I have tried to grasp the customs. Three days of events?! Four hours to get your hands painted?! An elephant at a wedding?! I didn't really know what I was getting myself into. Each day at the office is filled with researching, phone calls, emails, organizing, negotiating and following up. All of this with the bride's best interest in mind. These weddings are so elaborate that every detail must be considered and then reconsidered. Unlike American weddings, certain days of these events can last up to ten hours. Knowing what, when and how things are supposed to happen is our job. That's why I've been spending many hours watching YouTube trying to make sense of it all. So far, so good. I'm loving my new job! And with only a short period of experience under my belt, I'm already looking forward to the many weddings we have planned for 2009. Keep you posted...

--
Kristina Curtis
Events Intern
Sonal J. Shah Event Consultants, LLC

No comments: