This past year, many of our couples decided to have destination weddings, and more specifically, beach weddings. Having planned so many of these recently, we know there are many factors to consider before making a decision. It is very important to keep all of these in mind, as failing to do so can leave you unpleasantly surprised on your wedding day!
- Being on the beach provides a casual setting for your guests, which means they can dress comfortably and affordably. Even if it is not a destination wedding, but simply a beach near your home, your guests will feel like they are on a mini vacation.
- A beach wedding is a refreshing change from the traditional church and ballroom weddings. It allows you to really show your personality and makes for an event your guests will never forget.
- The beach and the sun provide the perfect backdrop for spectacular photos, especially if the ceremony is later in the afternoon.
- Like we mentioned above, a beach wedding really allows you to personalize your event. You can be creative with everything from fan programs to flip flops to your favors.
- The number one rule when planning a beach wedding is to remember that Mother Nature can change her mind at any time. Your day can be sunny at one moment and rainy the next. It is important to always have a back-up plan in case you have to make changes at the last minute.
- You will need to discuss your plans with local authorities as most beaches require a permit for any staging, music, or food that will be used.
- Keep in mind that many beaches are public! Depending on the time of day, you can have anywhere from a handful to dozens of curious bystanders looking over your wedding. And there is nothing you can really do about the ‘uninvited guests’ as it is illegal to ask them to leave the premises.
- Like we mentioned above, Mother Nature can be very tricky. Besides the possibility of rain, you also have to prepare for excess heat and sunshine. So you will need to make sure you have lots of refreshments, cold towels and shade for your guests.