Wednesday, January 7, 2009

A Note From Katherine! I really miss you..

My long time assistant and friend has left to move to Cali and plan her own wedding in Oct of this year... I really miss her and here is a note she wanted us to post:

My Experience with Sonal J. Shah Event Consultants

I have worked for Sonal and SJS just shy of two years. It has been a valuable learning experience that I am grateful to have had. Many people who want to get into this business have ideas of grandeur, that this is a glamorous job. That is not the case. Although you get to meet a variety of people, both clients and vendors, there are a lot of details and work that involve planning and executing a successful event. People don't realize that your job doesn't end until the event ends and you are not sipping champagne with the guests. At SJS we are there bright and early to wake the bride on the day of the event, sometimes at 3am or 4am, and don't leave until the last guest has left. We research vendors, help the bride get dressed, contact vendors the day of the event, and serve as a mediator for the families. It takes a lot of energy, focus and attention to detail to produce any event. If you want to get into the event planning business do realize that it is not a job for those who are timid. You are constantly communicating with people and need to have an aggressive and professional manner. Multitasking, delegation, and negotiation are skills that you must posses to survive, as well as being able to roll with the punches.
I don't want to scare anyone interested in breaking into the business. I love working with people and helping couples with the most important day in their lives. I know one of my favorite moments is when we do grand entrances for the reception. The parents, bridal party, and the couple are so excited to celebrate that I get excited and want to walk in with them.
The knowledge and experience I obtained with the company is priceless and I consider myself very lucky to have been chosen to work for SJS. I have met some great vendors and made friends along the way. It is sad to say farewell to all of you, but you will always be remembered. Please keep in touch. I thank Sonal and the SJS staff for giving me this wonderful chance. Happy trails to you, until we meet again.

With Warm Regards & Love,

Katherine

No comments: