Tuesday, December 30, 2008
ORGANIC / GREEN WEDDINGS
My entire family is on an organic kick thanks to my dear sister-in-law. It actually really feels good to live organically as they say.
Why not do the same for your wedding? Here are some easy ideas to have an organic wedding.. yes, Indian Weddings too.
1. Serve organic wines... go to sites like www.fourchimneysorganicwines.com or ask your venue if they recommend something. They may already have an organic wine.
2. Look for a location for your rehearsal dinner or actual wedding that is organic. For example:
-- Riverside Farm is a 300-acre luxurious private New England country estate. Located in the heart of the Green Mountains, Vermont.
--Gustorganics in Union Square is a great venue for smaller events and it is certified as a "Green Restaurant".
-- The Desmond Tutu Center in Chelsea, NYC is a great "Green" Venue. It has Geo Thermal Heating and Air conditioning throughout the facility.
3. Get your hair done for you and the bridal party at a place like Grace Heaven Organic Salon. They say, "Synthetic fragrances and toxic ingredients have no place in our salon". They use all natural and organic products for hair and makeup.
4. Choose to put your out of town guests in designated "Green" hotel. Look at sites like www.greenhotels.com or www.greenseal.org to get a list of hotels that are doing the right thing.
5. RSVPs-- why not just do it via email or telephone as oppose to mail? Yes, we know it is not the traditional thing to do but you are helping to save the environment by not having all that paper go to waste. Remember-- less inserts for Indian Wedding invites helps you and the environment. Also check out this statement on my new favorite place to order invitations: www.sarahmarie.com
"Sarah Marie is a small graphic design studio located in Manhattan. We specialize in letterpressed greeting cards and wrapping paper.
Our greeting cards are printed using soy-based inks, and tree-free (100% cotton) paper. Our wrapping paper is printed with an FSC-certified printer, on 10% post-consumer recycled paper. Not only do we feel we get a better product using soy-based inks and recycled papers, but it's also better for the environment".
There are so many other things such as organic tea favors, tree seedings from the Arbor Day Foundation (also great favors), lucky bamboo favors,and organic thank you cards.
YES, YOUR WEDDING IS ALL ABOUT YOU BUT WE ALL CAN TAKE A SECOND TO THINK ABOUT THE WORLD WE LIVE IN AND THE ENVIRNMENT. YOU WILL FEEL SO MUCH BETTER!
P.S: For Christmas, I purchased my entire family only organic gifts! It does feel good!